August 14 – 18, 2024
Every August for 19 years, the Art League of Ocean City hosts “Artists Paint OC”. For five days, 50 artists paint famous local scenes at perfect times of the day. Join us to discover your own masterpiece and meet the artist who painted it.
- 1st Place – $2,500
- 2nd Place – $1,000
- 3rd Place – $500
- 3 Honorable Mentions – $100 each
- Artist’s Choice Award in memory of Ray Ewing – $500
- Best Use of Light – $150
- Best Maritime – $150
- Best Hospitality – $150
- Best Nocturnal – $150
Competition will be limited to 50 artists, age 18 or older, on a first-come basis.
Dutch artist Carole Boggemann Peirson has been a professional oil painter since 2005 and is mostly known for her East Coast landscapes. Carole moved to the United States from her native country the Netherlands in 2000 when she and her husband tied the knot. She lives on the Eastern Shore of Virginia and the beautiful landscapes of this rural peninsula, as well as other scenery along the East Coast of the US continue to inspire her.
A few life-changing events in 2020 caused a shift in her work from figurative to abstract. The paintings are meant to evoke an emotion through the use of visual elements, rather than to convey a certain reality. Carole hopes her love for life and her optimism about the future will shine through in her work and the viewer will feel uplifted looking at it time and time again.
Limitation on Entries:
All paintings will hang for display and sale at the Wet Paint Sale event and be eligible for competition prizes. Each artist will have one side of a 36” W x 72” H standard panel to hang their artwork. The juror will select pieces to hang in the main gallery through September 30th. If sold, artists may select a replacement piece to include in the exhibition. Artwork not accepted into the competition will hang in the classrooms through Sunday August 13th. All work must be two-dimensional medium and completed “en plein air” on pre-stamped paper or canvas. There is no limit on the number of canvases or paper to be stamped and they may be evenly pre- toned in one color. All work, other than gallery wrapped canvas, must be properly framed. If the painting is on gallery wrapped canvas, the edges must be painted and dry. All work must be wired and ready to hang when delivered to the Ocean City Center for the Arts.
Commission on Sales to the Art League of Ocean City:
30% on all sales. All sales from the Plein Air event, including Quick Paint and the main gallery exhibit at the Ocean City Center for the Arts, must be handled by the Art League of Ocean City.
Artists Must Agree to:
- Paint within the specified areas during the event.
- Deliver and hang completed work at the OC Center for the Arts Saturday before 1 pm. Artists are asked to leave for judging of the artwork and should return at 4pm for announcements prior to the Wet Paint Sale.
- Pick up any work unsold in the Galleria exhibit on Sunday Sept 29th or Monday Sept 30th (by appointment) or arrange for shipping at your own expense, providing packaging material and a prepaid label. Artwork not picked up within 3 months will become the property of the Art League of Ocean City.
- Allow images of artwork to be used by the Art League of Ocean City for publicity purposes.
- Hold harmless the Art League of Ocean City for any personal injury or property loss or damage regardless of the cause.
Artists Are Encouraged to:
- Attend the Welcome Reception, August 14th.
- Participate in the Quick Paint competition on August 18th ($650 in cash prizes will be awarded)
QUICK PAINT COMPETITION RULES
August 18, 2024
Downtown Ocean City (painting) and OC Center for the Arts (sale)
- 1st Place – $300
- 2nd Place – $200 3rd Place – $100
- 1 Honorable Mention – $50
2024 Awards made possible by the Ocean City Development Corporation.
- 8-8:30 am – Artists check-in in front of Thrasher’s Fries on the boardwalk and get paper/canvas stamped. Onsite registration available.
- 9-11 am – Artists paint against the clock in the downtown area – from beach to bay and inlet to N. Division St.
- 11 am – Cease painting and return to the OC Center for the Arts to set up artwork for judging and sale.
- 12:30 pm – Judging of artwork.
- 1pm – 3 pm – Off-the-easel art sale, with live music and mimosa cash bar.
Award winning pieces are invited for display at the Arts Center through September 28th.
Commission on Sales to the Art League of Ocean City: 30% on all sales. All sales from the Plein Air event, including Quick Paint, must be handled by the Art League of Ocean City.
Please direct any questions to Gallery Director Katie Joyce at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 410- 524-9433.