August 7-11, 2019
Welcome to the Art League of Ocean City’s 2019 Plein Air event!
You are invited to participate in our 2019 Plein Air event in the beautiful resort town of Ocean City, Maryland. Get out your paint, pastels or pencils and set up an easel! Whether you enjoy painting the sun-kissed beaches and ever-changing ocean, the sparkling bays and wavy marsh grasses, Assateague ponies, harbor boats, or a busy boardwalk with funky shops and amusement rides – it is all here for you to choose from! Get up early and paint the sunrise over the waves or stay out late to paint bayside as the sun is setting or even later for a nocturnal. And along the way, take time to enjoy all the area’s fine hotels and restaurants.
The 2019 Artists Paint OC event is now full, but please click here to register for the Quick Draw!
August 7, 2019, 8-9 am – Early Registration – Get paper/canvas stamped, pick up information packet at the Ocean City Center for the Arts, 502 94th Street, Ocean City, MD and start painting.
6:00 pm – Welcoming Registration Reception for Artists held at the new Ocean City Center for the Arts. If artists have not already done so, they can register and get paper/canvas stamped and pick up information packet.
6:30 pm – Light Eastern Shore dinner featuring gazpacho, chicken, coleslaw, beverages and dessert. A short talk will be given by this year’s judge, David Lussier. Artists may bring 1 guest for a fee of $5. When you RSVP for the dinner please note if you are bringing a guest.
Thursday, August 8, 2019:
9 am – Additional registration for artists. Artists paint all day in the Ocean City area.
5:30 pm – Informal gathering for dinner at The Mad Fish Bar and Grille, West Ocean City harbor. An opportunity to paint a harborside nocturnal.
Friday, August 9, 2019
Artists paint all day in the Ocean City area.
Saturday, August 10, 2019:
Artists paint all morning.
10 am- 2:00 pm – Artists return to the Ocean City Center for the Arts with completed art work.
3:00pm – Jurying and judging of the work begins. Art brought in after 3 pm will not be eligible for the competition. Artists are asked to leave the exhibit area during jurying.
- All entries that will hang on display in the Galleria through the month of August will be juried and these works will be eligible for the competition prizes.
- Work not juried into the Galleria will be displayed for sale in the two classrooms with each artist getting one side of a 36” wide by 72” high standard panel.
5:30 – 6:00 pm – Wet Paint Sale – Private viewing of artwork by invitation.
6:00 – 8:00 pm – Wet Paint Sale – Doors open to the public. Artists are encouraged to mingle with patrons.
6:45 pm – Remarks by judge and awarding of prizes.
Sunday, August 11, 2019:
Quick Draw Contest
7:30 – 8:30 am – Gather downtown on the boardwalk for on-site registration for the Quick Draw
Competition at S. Division Street. Pre-registered artists check in and get canvas/paper stamped.
9:00 – 11:00 am – Artists paint against the clock in the downtown area. Cease painting at 11.
12:00 pm – Judging of the artwork at the Ocean City Center for the Arts, followed by sale.
11:00 am – 4:00 pm – Wet Paint Sale continues at the Ocean City Center for the Arts. Unsold winning pieces created in the Quick Draw Contest may be displayed at the art center through the month of August.
3:00 – 4:00 pm – Artists must pick up work hung in the classrooms at the OC Center for the Arts.
August 11th – September 2th, 2019:
Plein Air Exhibit – Featured in the Galleria of the Ocean City Center for the Arts, 502 94th Street, Ocean City, MD.
August 24-25th, 2019 – ArtX Festival – As a participating artist in our plein air event, you have a special opportunity to show and sell your work in the ALOC festival tent at Northside Park in OC, MD. At the conclusion of Artists Paint OC, you may submit one entry painted during the event for display and sale at the festival. There is no cost to participate. You’re also invited to paint at the park during the ArtX event.
Dates: August 7-11, 2019
Location: Ocean City, MD and Surrounding area
- 1st Place – $1000
- 2nd Place – $ 500
- 3rd Place – $250
- 3 Honorable Mention Ribbons
- Best Use of Light – $100
- Best Maritime – $100
- Best Hospitality – $100
- Best Nocturnal – $100
Limited Competition: Competition will be limited to 50 artists, age 18 or older, on a first-come basis.
Judge: David Lussier
David Lussier is an award-winning contemporary impressionist and nationally recognized plein air painter and workshop instructor. David started his career as a commercially trained illustrator, but he quickly realized that his passion was in the fine arts. He has been painting professionally for more than twenty-five years, has garnered more than 75 prizes for his work and is in numerous private and corporate collections throughout the United States. His work has been featured in many art journals and he is a professional member of some of the finest art associations and groups in the country. David is also an official U.S. Open artist for the United States Golf Association. Four of his paintings hang in the permanent collection of the USGA Museum in Far Hills New Jersey.
Limitation on Entries: All work entered into the wet paint competition and displayed in the Galleria during the month of August will be juried by the judge. All work, including the additional work displayed for sale in the classrooms, must be two-dimensional medium with a maximum framed size of 650 square inches. All work must be completed “en plein air” on pre-stamped paper or canvas. There is no limit on number of canvases or paper to be stamped and they may be evenly pre-toned in one color. Artwork not accepted into the competition may be hung in the classrooms with a limitation of work per artist to one side of a 36” W x 72”H standard panel. All work, other than gallery wrapped canvas, must be properly framed. If the painting is on gallery wrapped canvas, the edges must be painted and dry. All work must be wired and ready to hang when delivered to the Ocean City Center for the Arts.
Entry Fee including Quick Draw: $40, non-refundable. (Quick Draw only – $15)
Commission on Sales to the Art League of Ocean City: 30% on all sales. All sales from the Plein Air event, including Quick Draw, the August exhibit at the Ocean Center for the Arts and at ArtX, must be handled by the ALOC.
Hospitality: Area home lodging is available for out of town artists on a first-come basis. (Housing is for artists only and not friends or spouses.) Requests for lodging must be made in writing and confirmed by the ALOC.
Artists Must Agree to:
- Paint within the specified areas during August 7-11, 2019.
- Deliver completed work to the OC Center for the Arts and hang on Saturday before 3 pm. Artists are asked to leave for the jurying and judging of the art work and should return at 5:30 pm for the Wet Paint Sale reception.
- Remove art for sale in the OC Center for the Arts classrooms on August 11th between 3 and 4 pm.
- Pick up any work unsold in the Galleria exhibit on Sunday, September 1st, 2-4 pm or Monday, September 2nd, 10 am – noon or arrange for shipping at your own expense.
- Allow images of work entered into the competition to be used by the Art League of Ocean City for publicity purposes.
- Hold harmless the Art League of Ocean City for any personal injury or property loss or damage regardless of the cause.
Artists Are Encouraged to:
- Attend the Welcoming Registration Reception on August 7th.
- Attend the Wet Paint Sale on August 10th.
- Take advantage of limited host family housing to get to know the community and reduce travel costs.
- Participate in the Quick Draw contest.
Registration: Artists must complete the registration form and may apply online or by mail. All applications must be complete and returned to the Art League of Ocean City no later than June 1, 2019 and be accompanied by the non-refundable registration fee. Artists must agree to all the terms and conditions of the OC Paint-out event. This event generally fills up early.
QUICK DRAW COMPETITION RULES
- Registration in advance of event (sign up with Plein Air registration) or at the judging site on Sunday morning, August 11th, between 7:30 and 8:30 am. Artists gather on the boardwalk at S. Division Street.
- Canvas/paper must be stamped (will be different than Plein Air competition stamp).
- 9:00 – 11:00 am – Artists paint against the clock in the downtown area.
- 11:30 am – Artists set up work on easels at the Ocean City Center for the Arts with judging at noon.
- Cash awards will be presented by the Ocean City Development Corporation – 1st – $300, 2nd – $150, 3rd – $50; 1 Honorable Mention ribbon.
- 12:00pm – 4:00 pm – Artists have the opportunity to sell their painting off their easels. Unsold winning pieces may be hung at the art center through the month of August.
- All sales must be handled by the ALOC representative and the 30% commission applies to all sales.
- Judge: David Lussier
To download a printable Registration Form: Click Here.
Information for Visitors, Patrons & Sponsors
Public Wet Paint Sale
Saturday, August 10, 2019, 6:00-8:00 pm. Sunday, August 11, 2019, 11:00 am – 4:00 pm
Ocean City Center for the Arts, 502 94th St, Ocean City, MD
Juried artwork in the wet paint sale competition will be hung in the Galleria. Winners will be announced at 6:45 pm on Saturday evening. Most of the work will be available for sale and we encourage you to converse with the artists. Additional work created in the event will be on display for sale in the two classrooms at the Ocean City Center for the Arts.
Quick Draw Competition
Sunday, August 11, 2019
Come out and watch the artists paint in the Quick Draw Competition from 9:00 – 11:00 am. Artists will be painting against the clock downtown. They will return to the Ocean City Center for the Arts for judging and purchases made be made off the easels from noon to 4pm.1
August Plein Air Exhibit
Juried work completed during the Plein Air event will be on exhibit and most available for sale at the Ocean City Center for the Arts, 502 94th Street, Ocean City from August 10-September 1, 2019.
Donations & Sponsorships
Your financial contributions are vital to the success of the programs of the Art League of Ocean City. Donations may be made directly online, by mail, telephone or in person and no amount is too small.
Make your mark as a sponsor of Artists Paint OC by donating funds for naming rights for prizes. For levels of corporate sponsorship and their benefits, please contact the Art League of Ocean City. All corporate sponsors are honored annually at our Corporate Sponsor reception and receive recognition in our newsletter and on our website.