Artists Paint OC 2021 is currently full.
Dear Plein Air Artists,
We hope this finds you in good health and good spirits. Due to the ongoing effects of COVID-19, we will follow the same amended operational plan that we adopted last year. It was a challenge but rising to it we pulled off a wonderfully successful event. Artists expressed their true delight that we didn’t cancel as so many other organizations did.
As is it evident that the virus will still be around in August, social distancing will be followed, crowds will be limited, and masks required for entry into the building (staff will be masked always) or any time that safe social distancing is difficult. Though we hope that the environment will improve, for now we will proceed with the same caution as last year. We intend to remain flexible and to reevaluate regularly and have every confidence that our 2021 Plein Air event will be just as successful and fun as 2020 turned out to be.
Notable changes include:
- Check-in and stamping of paper/ canvases will be handled by appointment.
- Daily email updates will keep artists informed.
- Our Wednesday evening welcome reception will be held online as a ‘virtual happy hour’.
- The main gallery juried show will be extended through the month of September.
- Artwork hung in the gallery will be photographed and featured on our website/ social media.
- No housing accommodations in private homes will be provided.
- An additional Quick Draw event will take place during the ArtX festival at Northside Park August 21-22 and is included in your registration.
We are making every effort to maintain the integrity of this event as we navigate through these uncertain times. And as the situation remains fluid, flexibility is key! We appreciate your continued support, and we look forward to seeing you soon!
Wednesday, August 11, 2021
- 8-12pm – Check-in by appointment to get paper/canvas stamped and pick up information packet at the Ocean City Center for the Arts, 502 94th Street, Ocean City MD, then start painting! Link will be sent for appointment sign-up. Please contact us if you plan to arrive outside these hours.
- 5pm – Virtual Happy Hour – Connect with fellow artists via Zoom. Details to follow.
Thursday, August 12, 2021
Artists paint all day in the greater Ocean City area. Additional check-in by appointment.
Friday, August 13, 2021
Artists paint all day in the greater Ocean City area.
Saturday, August 14, 2021
- 10-1pm – Return with completed artwork.
- 2pm- Jurying and judging of the work begins. Artists are asked to leave the area during judging.
- 4pm- Artists return for awards announcement (artists only).
- 5-8pm – Wet Paint Sale – Open to the public.
Sunday, August 15, 2021 – Quick Draw Contest
- 8 – 8:30 am – Check-in at S. Division Street on the boardwalk and get paper/canvas stamped.
- 9-11am – Artists paint against the clock in the downtown area. Cease painting at 11 and return to the OC Center for the Arts to set up artwork on easel outdoors.
- 12:30 pm – Judging of the artwork, followed by sale at 1pm
Unsold winning pieces created in the Quick Draw Competition may be left for display at the Arts Center through the month of September. Artists may also submit one painting completed during the event for the ArtX Festival at this time.
August 15th – September 25th, 2021
Plein Air Exhibit – Featured in the Galleria of the OC Center for the Arts. Artwork will be photographed and presented as an online exhibition and will be available for sale at www.artleagueofoceancity.org, as well as shared on social media.
August 21-22nd, 2021 – ArtX Festival – As a participating artist in our plein air event, you have a special opportunity to show and sell your work in the ALOC festival tent at Northside Park in OC, MD. At the conclusion of Artists Paint OC (Sunday Aug. 15), you may submit one entry painted during the event for display and sale at the festival. There is no cost to participate. You are also invited to paint at the park during the ArtX event.
Art X Quick Draw Contest: Artists paint against the clock at Northside Park, followed by judging and off-the-easel sale. Details to follow.
Dates: August 11-15, 2021
Location: Ocean City, MD and surrounding area
- 1st Place – $2,500
- 2nd Place – $1,000
- 3rd Place – $500
- 2 Honorable Mentions – $50 each
- Best Use of Light – $100
- Best Maritime – $100
- Best Hospitality – $100
- Best Nocturnal – $100
- Awards made possible by the Art League of Ocean City, Maryland State Arts Council, Worcester County Arts Council, Worcester County Tourism, Ocean City Development Corp. and private donations.
Limited Competition: Competition will be limited to 40 artists, age 18 or older, on a first-come basis.
Juror: Alison Leigh Menke
Alison Leigh Menke was born abroad in 1987 and raised in Howard County, Maryland. Growing up she was impressed by the art of her mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother. These strong women and their paintings enchanted her throughout her youth and help inspire her today. Her great-grandmother, Georgia Leigh Caldwell, was an American Impressionist. In 2010 Alison graduated from the University of Maryland, College Park, with a degree in Art and Art History. She has studied art abroad in Thessaloniki, Greece and in Amsterdam, Netherlands, and has attended over a dozen workshops with talented artists around the world. Her journey into landscape painting began in 2011 when a three week solitary trip to Colorado turned into a five month foray into plein air. She painted every day, camped in national parks, sold studies out of the trunk of her car, and created over 150 paintings. With a desire to travel and learn from her peers Alison has spent the past three years attending plein air competitions and festivals. Between the plein air seasons of 2016 and 2017 she attended 26 competitions along the eastern seaboard and was honored with 26 awards. Her successes have garnered attention from local newspapers, Plein Air Magazine, Art Connoisseur, and various publications.
Limitation on Entries: All paintings will hang for display and sale at the Wet Paint Sale event and be eligible for competition prizes. The juror will select pieces to hang in the main gallery through the month of September. If sold, artists may select a replacement piece to include in the exhibition. All work must be two-dimensional medium and completed “en plein air” on pre-stamped paper or canvas. There is no limit on number of canvases or paper to be stamped and they may be evenly pre-toned in one color. All work, other than gallery wrapped canvas, must be properly framed. If the painting is on gallery wrapped canvas, the edges must be painted and dry. All work must be wired and ready to hang when delivered to the Ocean City Center for the Arts.
Entry Fee including two Quick Draw events: $50 for Art League members, $65 for non-members. Non-refundable. (Quick Draw only – $25 members, $30 non-members)
Commission on Sales to the Art League of Ocean City: 30% on all sales. All sales from the Plein Air event, including Quick Draw, the main gallery exhibit at the Ocean Center for the Arts and at ArtX, must be handled by the ALOC.
Artists Must Agree to:
- Paint within the specified areas during August 11-15, 2021.
- Deliver completed work to the OC Center for the Arts Saturday before 1 pm. Artists are asked to leave for judging of the artwork and should return at 4pm for announcements prior to the Wet Paint Sale.
- Pick up any work unsold in the Galleria exhibit on Sunday Sept 26th or Monday Sept 27th (by appointment) or arrange for shipping at your own expense, providing packaging material and a prepaid label. Artwork not picked up within 3 months will become the property of the Art League of Ocean City.
- Allow images of artwork to be used by the Art League of Ocean City for publicity purposes.
- Hold harmless the Art League of Ocean City for any personal injury or property loss or damage regardless of the cause.
Artists Are Encouraged to:
- Attend the Virtual Happy Hour, August 11th
- Participate in the Quick Draw competition on the boardwalk August 15th .
- Participate in the ArtX Festival August 21-22 and Quick Draw competition
Downtown Ocean City – QUICK DRAW COMPETITION RULES
Sunday August 15, 2021
- 8-8:30 am – Artists check-in at S. Division Street and the boardwalk and get paper/canvas stamped. Onsite registration available.
- 9-11 am – Artists paint against the clock in the downtown area.
- Artists set up work on easels outside the OC Center for the Arts prior to judging at 12:30pm.
- 1pm – 3 pm – Artists have the opportunity to sell their painting off their easels. Unsold winning pieces may be hung at the Arts Center through the month of September.
- All sales must be handled by the ALOC representative and the 30% commission applies to all sales.
- Judge: Alison Leigh Menke. Cash awards will be presented by the Ocean City Development Corporation – 1st – $300, 2nd – $150, 3rd – $50; 1 Honorable Mention ribbon.
ArtX Festival – QUICK DRAW COMPETITION RULES
- Detailed event schedule to follow.
- Cash awards will be presented by the Town of Ocean City. 1st – $300, 2nd – $150, 3rd – $50; 1 Honorable Mention ribbon.
INFORMATION FOR VISITORS, PATRONS & SPONSORS
PUBLIC WET PAINT SALE
Saturday, August 14, 2021, 5-8pm at the Ocean City Center for the Arts, 502 94th St, Ocean City, MD
Artwork in the wet paint sale competition will be displayed for sale at the OC Center for the Arts. Join us for your first opportunity to see and collect artwork created during this year’s event.
QUICK DRAW COMPETITION
Sunday, August 15, 2021
Come out and watch the artists paint in the Quick Draw Competition from 9-11am. Artists will be painting against the clock downtown. They will return to the Ocean City Center for the Arts for judging and purchases may be made off the easels from 1 pm to 3pm.
PLEIN AIR EXHIBIT
A selection of artwork completed during the Plein Air event will be on exhibit and available for sale at the Ocean City Center for the Arts, 502 94th Street, Ocean City from August 15-September 25, 2021.
DONATIONS & SPONSORSHIPS
Your financial contributions are vital to the success of the programs of the Art League of Ocean City. Donations may be made directly online, by mail, telephone or in person and no amount is too small.
Make your mark as a sponsor of Artists Paint OC by donating funds for naming rights for prizes. For levels of corporate sponsorship and their benefits, please contact the Art League of Ocean City. All corporate sponsors are honored annually at our Corporate Sponsor reception and receive recognition in our newsletter and on our website.
To Download a complete information packet, Click Here.
For more information about ARTISTS PAINT OC, please contact the Art League of Ocean City at 410-524.9433 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.