PLEIN AIR EVENT ~ August 10 – 14, 2022
Registration Opens April 1, 2022
Dear Plein Air artists,
We’re excited to welcome you to our beautiful resort town of Ocean City, MD. Whether you enjoy painting the sunny beaches, marshy bays, or vibrant boardwalk – it’s all here for you to choose from.
Included in this packet are the 2022 event schedule, prospectus, and area map.
- Check-in and stamping of paper/ canvases will be handled by appointment.
- Wednesday evening’s Welcome Reception will be held in-person at the OC Center for the Arts with a complimentary dinner. Registered artists are welcome to bring one guest for a fee of $5.
- Artists are encouraged to visit Jolly Rogers Amusement Park on 30th Street to paint during the event— just show your Artists Paint OC lanyard at the park office. Additional artist gatherings will be scheduled throughout the event.
- No housing accommodations in private homes will be provided. However, the Howard Johnson Oceanfront Plaza on 12th St. is offering a special rate to our artists: $179/night (weekday) and $219/night (weekend). Valid 8/9-8/14. Must reserve by July 26. Mention the Art League of Ocean City Plein Air event at time of booking.
- Two Quick Paint competitions are included in your registration: one during the main event Sunday August 14 and an additional Quick Paint during the ArtX festival at Northside Park August 21. $500 in cash prizes will be awarded for each.
- The main gallery juried show will hang through the month of September and artwork juried in will be photographed and featured on our website/ social media.
We are confident that our 2022 Plein Air event will be as successful and fun as 2021 proved to be. We appreciate your continued support, and we look forward to seeing you soon!
Please direct any questions to Gallery Director Katie Brown at email@example.com or by calling 410-524-9433.
Wednesday, August 10, 2022
8am-12pm – Check-in by appointment to get paper/canvas stamped and pick up information packet at the Ocean City Center for the Arts, 502 94th Street, Ocean City MD, then start painting! Appointment link will be sent via email. Please contact us if you plan to arrive outside these hours.
5pm – Welcome Reception for Artists – Connect with fellow artists and enjoy a light Eastern Shore dinner. Artists may also check-in and get paper/canvas stamped at this time. Artists may bring one guest for a fee of $5.
Thursday, August 11, 2022
Artists paint all day in the greater Ocean City area. Additional check-in by appointment. Artists are invited to gather for dinner at an area restaurant (more details to come).
Friday, August 12, 2022
Artists paint all day in the greater Ocean City area. Then join us for a special opportunity to paint a nocturne at Newport Farms (more details to come).
Saturday, August 13, 2022
10-1pm – Return to the OC Center for the Arts with completed artwork.
2pm- Jurying and judging of artwork begins. Artists are asked to leave the area during judging.
- Each artist will have one side of a 36” wide by 72” high standard panel to display their artwork.
- All artwork that will hang in the main gallery exhibition through the month of September will be juried in and these works will be eligible for the competition prizes. Work not juried into the Galleria will be displayed for sale in the two classrooms through Sunday August 14.
4pm- Artists return for awards announcement (artists only).
5-8pm – Wet Paint Sale – Open to the public.
Quick Paint Competition
Sunday, August 14, 2022
8 – 8:30 am – Check-in and get paper/canvas stamped in front of Thrasher’s French Fries on the boardwalk.
9-11am – Artists paint against the clock. Cease painting at 11 and return to the OC Center for the Arts to set up artwork.
12:30 pm – Judging of the artwork, followed by sale at 1pm
3-4 pm – Artists must pickup work hung in the classrooms at the OC Center for the Arts. Unsold winning pieces created in the Quick Paint Competition may be left for display through the month of September. Artists may also submit one painting completed during the Plein Air event for display and sale at the ArtX Festival at this time. ArtX entries will be available for pickup beginning August 22 or can be held for pickup at the close of the main gallery exhibition.
August 14 – October 1, 2022
Plein Air Exhibit – Featured in the Galleria of the OC Center for the Arts. Artwork will be photographed and presented as an online exhibition and will be available for sale at www.artleagueofoceancity.org, as well as shared on social media.
August 20-21, 2022 – ArtX Festival
As a participating artist in our plein air event, you have a special opportunity to show and sell your work in the ALOC festival tent at Northside Park in OC, MD. At the conclusion of Artists Paint OC (Sunday Aug. 14), you may submit one entry painted during the event for display and sale at the festival. There is no cost to participate. You are also invited to paint at the park during the ArtX event.
Sunday, August 21 – Quick Paint Competition at ArtX:
Artists paint against the clock at Northside Park, followed by judging and off-the-easel sale.
August 10-14, 2022
Ocean City, MD and surrounding area
- 1st Place – $2,500
- 2nd Place – $1,000
- 3rd Place – $500
- 2 Honorable Mentions – $50 each
- Best Use of Light – $100
- Best Maritime – $100
- Best Hospitality – $100
- Best Nocturnal – $100
Awards made possible by the Art League of Ocean City, Peter Glenville Foundation, Maryland State Arts Council, Worcester County Arts Council, Ocean City Development Corp. and private donations.
Limited Competition: Competition will be limited to 50 artists, age 18 or older, on a first-come basis.
Juror: Crystal Moll, originally from Virginia Beach, earned her BFA from Moore College of Art & Design. Baltimore has been her home since the late 80’s. Since that time, she has been a full-time fine artist. Crystal paints mostly cityscapes and works directly from life. She may complete a small work in one sitting, but she also loves to take these small and large works back to the location for many sittings—sometimes over weeks, sometimes not until the following season. Crystal is drawn to color especially as it is bathed in light. Investigating the colors’ reaction as it is warmed in sunlight or cooled in shadows draws her to the subjects she paints. In 2009 Crystal opened the Crystal Moll Galley in Baltimore MD. This is home to her work along with the works of many fine artists with an emphasis on plein air works. Voted best gallery for 8 years running.
Limitation on Entries: All paintings will hang for display and sale at the Wet Paint Sale event and be eligible for competition prizes. Each artist will have one side of a 36” W x 72” H standard panel to hang their artwork. The juror will select pieces to hang in the main gallery through the month of September. If sold, artists may select a replacement piece to include in the exhibition. Artwork not accepted into the competition will hang in the classrooms through Sunday August 14. All work must be two-dimensional medium and completed “en plein air” on pre-stamped paper or canvas. There is no limit on the number of canvases or paper to be stamped and they may be evenly pre-toned in one color. All work, other than gallery wrapped canvas, must be properly framed. If the painting is on gallery wrapped canvas, the edges must be painted and dry. All work must be wired and ready to hang when delivered to the Ocean City Center for the Arts.
Commission on Sales to the Art League of Ocean City: 30% on all sales. All sales from the Plein Air event, including Quick Paint, the main gallery exhibit at the Ocean City Center for the Arts and at ArtX, must be handled by the ALOC.
Artists Must Agree to:
- Paint within the specified areas during August 10-14, 2022.
- Deliver and hang completed work at the OC Center for the Arts Saturday before 1 pm. Artists are asked to leave for judging of the artwork and should return at 4pm for announcements prior to the Wet Paint Sale.
- Pick up any work unsold in the Galleria exhibit on Sunday Oct 2nd or Monday Oct 3rd (by appointment) or arrange for shipping at your own expense, providing packaging material and a prepaid label. Artwork not picked up within 3 months will become the property of the Art League of Ocean City.
- Allow images of artwork to be used by the Art League of Ocean City for publicity purposes.
- Hold harmless the Art League of Ocean City for any personal injury or property loss or damage regardless of the cause.
Artists Are Encouraged to:
- Attend the Welcome Reception, August 10th
- Participate in the Quick Paint competition on August 14th .
- Participate in the ArtX Festival August 20-21 and Quick Paint competition August 21.
Artists Paint OC – A Plein Air Event August 10-14, 2022
For more information about ARTISTS PAINT OC, please contact the Art League of Ocean City at 410-524-9433 or email Gallery Director Katie Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org.