Welcome to the Art League of Ocean City’s 2020 Plein Air event!
Dear Plein Air artists,
We hope this finds you in good health and good spirits. Due to the ongoing effects of COVID-19, several changes have been made to our 2020 event to keep our artists, staff, volunteers, and visitors safe and healthy. Social distancing will be encouraged whenever possible, crowds will be limited, and masks are required for entry into the OC Center for the Arts and will be worn by all staff.
Notable changes include:
- Check-in and stamping of paper/ canvases will be handled by appointment.
- Daily email updates will keep artists informed.
- Our Wednesday evening welcome reception will be held online as a ‘virtual happy hour’ and include a talk from juror Bernard Dellario.
- Saturday’s Wet Paint Sale will be held outdoors, utilizing the adjacent tennis courts for display and sale of all artwork.
- All artwork will be eligible for prizes. Artwork selected for the main gallery exhibition will be moved indoors after Saturday’s Wet Paint Sale. If sold during the Wet Paint Sale, artists may select a replacement to be hung in the main gallery for the remainder of the month.
- The main gallery juried show will be extended through the month of September.
- Artwork hung in the gallery will be photographed and featured on our website/ social media.
- No housing accommodations in private homes will be provided. Please contact us for discounted hotel rates.
We are making every effort to maintain the integrity of this event as we navigate through these uncertain times. And as the situation remains fluid, flexibility is key! Thank you for your continued support and we look forward to seeing you soon!
Please direct any questions to Gallery Manager Katie Brown at email@example.com or by calling 410-524-9433.
Wednesday, August 12, 2020
8-12pm – Check-in by appointment to get paper/canvas stamped and pick up information packet at the Ocean City Center for the Arts, 502 94th Street, Ocean City MD, then start painting! Click here for appointment sign-up.. Please contact us if you plan to arrive outside these hours.
5pm – Virtual Happy Hour – Connect with fellow artists and event organizers via Zoom and enjoy a brief presentation from this year’s juror, Bernard Dellario. Details to follow.
Thursday, August 13, 2020
Artists paint all day in the Ocean City area. Additional check-in by appointment – please contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
Friday, August 14, 2020
Artists paint all day in the Ocean City area.
Saturday, August 15, 2020
10-1pm – Return with completed artwork. Artists will hang all artwork at the tennis courts adjacent to the Arts Center on 94th St. Hooks will be provided. Area will be secured, so artists may leave once artwork is hung.
- All paintings will hang for display and sale outdoors at the tennis courts and be eligible for the competition prizes. The juror will select pieces to hang in the main gallery exhibition and selected artwork will be moved indoors after the Wet Paint Sale. If sold, artists may select a replacement piece to include in the main gallery exhibit.
- In the event of inclement weather: Artists will return between 10-1pm with one piece to submit for the main gallery exhibition through the month of September and these works will be eligible for the competition prizes.
2pm- Judging of the work begins. Artists are asked to leave the area during judging.
4pm- Artists return for awards announcement (artists only).
4:30-5pm – Wet Paint Sale (patron preview) – Private viewing of artwork by invitation.
5-8pm – Wet Paint Sale – Open to the public.
- At the conclusion of the Wet Paint Sale, artists will remove all work from the tennis courts, except those selected to hang in the main gallery through the end of September.
Sunday, August 16, 2020 – Quick Draw Contest
*Due to weather, stamping for Quick Draw will be done Saturday August 15. There will be no check-in downtown.
9-11am – Artists paint against the clock in the downtown area. Cease painting at 11 and return to the OC Center for the Arts to set up artwork on easel outdoors.
12:30 pm – Judging of the artwork, followed by sale at 1pm
3-4pm – Artists must pick up artwork outside the OC Center for the Arts. Unsold winning pieces created in the Quick Draw Competition may be left for display at the Arts Center through the month of September. Artists may also submit one painting completed during the event for the ArtX Festival at this time.
August 16th – September 26th, 2020
Plein Air Exhibit – Featured in the Galleria of the OC Center for the Arts. Artwork will be photographed and also presented as an online exhibition at www.artleagueofoceancity.org, as well as shared on social media.
August 22-23rd, 2020 – ArtX Festival – As a participating artist in our plein air event, you have a special opportunity to show and sell your work in the ALOC festival tent at Northside Park in OC, MD. At the conclusion of Artists Paint OC (Sunday Aug. 16), you may submit one entry painted during the event for display and sale at the festival. There is no cost to participate. You are also invited to paint at the park during the ArtX event.
Dates: August 12-16, 2020
Location: Ocean City, MD and surrounding area
- 1st Place – $2,500
- 2nd Place – $1,000
- 3rd Place – $500
- 2 Honorable Mentions – $50 each
- Best Use of Light – $100
- Best Maritime – $100
- Best Hospitality – $100
- Best Nocturnal – $100
Awards made possible by the Peter Glenville Foundation, Worcester County Arts Council, Worcester County Tourism, Ocean City Development Corp. and private donations.
Limited Competition: Competition will be limited to 40 artists, age 18 or older, on a first-come basis.
Judge: Bernard (Bernie) Dellario
Bernard earned a Bachelor’s degree from Kings College in Wilkes-Barre, PA and has studied Art at the Art League School in Alexandria, Virginia. In addition, he has taken several workshops with national well-known painters He has been a member of the Washington Society of Landscape Painters since 2003 and currently serves as the President. He exhibits and has won awards through several venues in the Washington DC metro area.
Limitation on Entries: All paintings will hang for display and sale at the Wet Paint Sale and be eligible for the competition prizes. The juror will select pieces to hang in the main gallery exhibition and selected artwork will be moved indoors after the Sale. If sold, artists may select a replacement piece to include in the main gallery exhibit. All work must be two-dimensional medium and completed “en plein air” on pre-stamped paper or canvas. There is no limit on number of canvases or paper to be stamped and they may be evenly pre-toned in one color. All work, other than gallery wrapped canvas, must be properly framed. If the painting is on gallery wrapped canvas, the edges must be painted and dry. All work must be wired and ready to hang when delivered to the Ocean City Center for the Arts.
Entry Fee including Quick Draw: $50, non-refundable. (Quick Draw only – $25)
Commission on Sales to the Art League of Ocean City: 30% on all sales. All sales from the Plein Air event, including Quick Draw, the August exhibit at the Ocean Center for the Arts and at ArtX, must be handled by the ALOC.
Artists Must Agree to:
- Paint within the specified areas during August 12-15, 2020.
- Deliver completed work to the OC Center for the Arts and hang on Saturday before 1 pm. Artists are asked to leave for the judging of the artwork and should return at 4pm for announcements prior to the Wet Paint Sale.
- Remove art for sale from the tennis courts adjacent to the Arts Center on August 15th, 8pm.
- Pick up any work unsold in the Galleria exhibit on Sunday, Sept 27th, 11-4 pm or Monday, Sept 28th, 10 am – noon or arrange for shipping at your own expense, providing packaging material and a prepaid label. Artwork not picked up within 3 months will become the property of the Art League of Ocean City.
- Allow images of work entered into the competition to be used by the Art League of Ocean City for publicity purposes.
- Hold harmless the Art League of Ocean City for any personal injury or property loss or damage regardless of the cause.
Artists Are Encouraged to:
- Attend the Virtual Happy Hour, August 12th
- Participate in the Quick Draw contest
- Participate in the ArtX Festival, August 22-23
QUICK DRAW COMPETITION RULES
- 8-8:30 am – Artists check-in at S. Division Street and the boardwalk and get paper/canvas stamped. Onsite registration available.
- 9-11 am – Artists paint against the clock in the downtown area.
- Artists set up work on easels at the OC Center for the Arts prior to judging at 12:30pm.
- 1pm – 3 pm – Artists have the opportunity to sell their painting off their easels. Unsold winning pieces may be hung at the art center through the month of September.
- All sales must be handled by the ALOC representative and the 30% commission applies to all sales.
- Judge: Bernard (Bernie) Dellario. Cash awards will be presented by the Ocean City Development Corporation – 1st – $300, 2nd – $150, 3rd – $50; 1 Honorable Mention ribbon.
INFORMATION FOR VISITORS, PATRONS & SPONSORS
PUBLIC WET PAINT SALE
Saturday, August 15, 2020, 5-8pm at the Ocean City Center for the Arts, 502 94th St, Ocean City, MD
Artwork in the wet paint sale competition will be displayed for sale in the tennis courts adjacent to the Arts Center, or in the event of inclement weather, a selection will be hung in the Galleria at the Arts Center.
QUICK DRAW COMPETITION
Sunday, August 16, 2020
Come out and watch the artists paint in the Quick Draw Competition from 9-11am. Artists will be painting against the clock downtown. They will return to the Ocean City Center for the Arts for judging and purchases made be made off the easels from 1 pm to 3pm.
AUGUST PLEIN AIR EXHIBIT
A selection of artwork completed during the Plein Air event will be on exhibit and available for sale at the Ocean City Center for the Arts, 502 94th Street, Ocean City from August 16-September 26, 2020.
DONATIONS & SPONSORSHIPS
Your financial contributions are vital to the success of the programs of the Art League of Ocean City. Donations may be made directly online, by mail, telephone or in person and no amount is too small.
Make your mark as a sponsor of Artists Paint OC by donating funds for naming rights for prizes. For levels of corporate sponsorship and their benefits, please contact the Art League of Ocean City. All corporate sponsors are honored annually at our Corporate Sponsor reception and receive recognition in our newsletter and on our website.
For more information about ARTISTS PAINT OC, please contact the Art League of Ocean City at 410-524.9433 or by email to email@example.com.